Friday, March 01, 2013

The Power of an Idea

If you aren't familiar with TED, stop reading and click here now.

Okay, now that you are acquainted, perhaps you can understand my affection for this gathering of brilliant, passionate people. (Let's also be fair and add elite and wealthy. You have to apply to attend the conference, and at $7,500 ... well, you could say it's a bit of an investment.)

However, they do make the main stage events available to the masses via video. My mighty employer, happened to be sponsoring a special area of the TED conference, and as part of this sponsorship, they were able to host TED live events and share the experience with all of the employees who chose to register for one of the sections. I signed up (because there was no way I was passing on this opportunity) for today's session called Ripple Effect. Three compelling speakers who made you like at philanthropy a little differently. The speaker that stayed with me though was Orly Wahba and her presentation on the magic of kindness.

I'll be candid, there were moments I was close to getting emotional during Orly's presentation. You must check out her short film about how one act of kindness can start a movement. There's something beautiful about the simplicity of just doing the right thing ... the good thing ... the kind thing.

My commitment going forward, is to always choose the kind option when I can. I hope you choose the same path.

No comments: