Thursday, March 04, 2010

Maybe I Am That Kind of Parent

Last night during American Idol:

K: Mommy, Daddy - I want to be on American Idol.

Me: If the show is still on in 13 years, I will support you to try out on the show.

As the words came out of my mouth, I realized something. I've always felt bad for the contestants who go on the show and can't sing and then they walk out and their parents are there with their arms open and supportive. I've always questioned why they let their kids try out if they knew they couldn't sing. Now I get it. As a parent, you may realize your child's talents have set limits, but do you tell them that or do you support them and do what you can to help them try to realize their dream?

As parents, are we blind to our children's abilities? Do we think they are good when the outside world might not support their artistic endeavors. Probably. Because I will probably be blinded by love and think that everything that K and O do is amazing. So, I now apologize to all those parents who I questioned why they let their kids hearts get broken. They probably genuinely thought their children had talent and were on their way to super stardom.

No comments: