Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

Okay, so I think I eluded to this earlier, but one of the things that has happened while I was out bonding with my new son was our department realigned within the major corp. As part of this, a lot was suggested that we were going to reorg. So, it's come out now that we are in fact going to reorg. Scary words, but I've been here long enough to have experienced more reorgs than one can imagine. The scary part is now we are being asked what is it that we really, really love to do.

My mind goes blank when I'm asked this question. What I really want to do is write that novel one day, but I can't settle on what I want to write about. What I really want to do is travel the world with my family and enjoy all of life's experiences. (Okay, I'm so ridiculously jealous of Elizabeth Gilbert, how she convinced them to front her for Eat. Pray. Love. She is brilliant.) What I really want to do when it comes to work ... I don't know! I just don't know! I'm pretty flexible and have learned not to say no to opportunity, because it usually opens up doors you haven't even thought were there. So, I think I'm hesitant to say what I want to be when I grow up because I want to throw all caution to the wind and see what happens!

Of course, this isn't the answer I can give. So, I'll be hunkering down with some self-help books over the next few days to determine my strengths (currently, my signature strengths are managing talent and strategic planning - both sound sexy, and so I won't complain if this is what I'm known for professionally.) I'll keep you updated. But what I'm really interested, faithful readers (all five of you) is:

What do you want to be when you grow up?

No comments: