Tuesday, March 09, 2010

My Living Room

I love my living room. It's my sanctuary in the house and definitely a room overflowing with Wabi Sabi. Mind you, the furniture doesn't match, and it's sort of halfway done from a design standpoint, but it provides me a calm place to sit down, sip a nice hot cup of coffee and read a good book.

I think for the longest time, D didn't understand why whenever I would have company, I would keep them in the living room versus bringing them down to our family room on the level below. But I think the rooms are very much opposites. The family room is just that - a room where our family is loud, full of energy and spends a great deal of our time. It's where our sons play and create their different worlds, building their castles, playing in the baby gym and just being a family. It's where we unwind at night together, having conversation or watching some reality show. It's a loud room by definition because that's what we want it to be. It's where we sit around our fireplace and warm up.

The living room is where I rejuvenate. The only thing the living room asks of you is to live as you wish. With our introduction of family reading time, I think D finally understood the peace and joy of the living room. If we had tried to do our reading in the family room, there would have been too many distractions and we wouldn't have accomplished our simple goal of enjoying the chapter we were reading. In the living room, you snuggle in the comfy sofa or chair of your choice and just be. One day, I will get the living room to look like it all matches. Where the sofas match the rest of the furniture, and we replace the beige carpet with wood floors and a nice rug. But at the present time ... I'm in no rush. For rushing would defy the very intent of the room.

1 comment:

Katie B. said...

Bran--You have a beautiful gift of writing. I have forgotten how well you can paint a picture with words. I haven't visited your blog before, just read a few entries tonight and enjoyed this one. A simple subject...your living room...but you gave it meaning.