Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not as Sweet a Deal as One Thought

This week has been incredibly long, but also flown by unbelievably fast. I can't believe it's already Thursday night. The first week of work has provided me lots of balls to juggle and things to figure out. It's been rough, my feet ache and I have deep, purple dark circles underneath my eyes. The luxury of having a husband that stays at home with the kids doesn't mean much when we're like passing ships in the night, which has pretty much been the case all this week. Of course, he's left me with little disasters, too. On Tuesday, as he left, O decided to have a blowout about two minutes later. Tonight, he was unable to hold off O from eating for a half-hour so that I could nurse him when I got home and it then made his next feeding time conflict with when I needed to put K to bed. It also left me alone trying to give K a bath, make frosting for the cake he decided to bake (no one asked for it) and clean up the dishes. (yes, he nicely washed the bottles before he left, because he learned the previous night that yes, we have to wash the bottles every day for me to have enough to bring into work to pump.)

All the sweet promises made during my leave about getting up with me and making me coffee while I get ready ... gone to the wayside. Of course, I dismissed those promises because he didn't need to do that ... but now I want the promises back.

I know that I'm just cranky and tired because I am sleep deprived. I know being the stay at home parent is really perhaps the most difficult job in the world ... but, my first week back at work, honey, could you maybe stay home one night so I could actually unwind, put my feet up and have a conversation with my husband before I crash from exhaustion into my bed? Maybe it's too much to ask for. Maybe he needs the escape to get away. I'm hoping that it's just a rough first week, and that within a month we'll have a nice solid routine established. In the meantime, what's the phone number for Spalon Montage? It's time to schedule my massage.

No comments: