Friday, March 23, 2012

The Inevitable School Fear

K is in every other day Kindergarten. This creates the need for some calendar orchestration, because it's not straightforward, every other day. It's Mondays and Wednesdays and then half of the Fridays that there is school. Of course, that doesn't mean every other Friday, so at the beginning of the school year, I had to get cozy with all the calendars and mark down the Fridays he had school.

At least that was the approach I took ... indicating the Fridays he had school. Now granted, it's March, and he's been in school since September, so there's really only a couple months left ... and this system has worked flawlessly for six months. Until today.

K had spring break last week ... so it was a full week of no school. Granted, this threw D's schedule off a bit, so when he asked me three times this week if K had school on Friday and I said "no" and explained my system so he could look at the calendar, I just shrugged it off. (Did I mention, this system has been in place since September.)

So, this morning, when my phone at work rang at 9:20 and it was a number near home, I was quite confused. I was more confused when I listened to the message and it was a school secretary explaining that K was at school, but it wasn't his day, so someone needed to come and pick him up. I promptly called D, and asked him why K was at school. Now, my darling husband felt incredibly guilty and was fortunately just on his way to the grocery store, so he promptly turned around and went and picked up our son.

Of course, this probably traumatized me more than K, but what made me laugh was how K explained it to me. He said when he looked into his classroom, he realized it wasn't his day, so he just went right to the office and told them that his dad had dropped him off on accident. It's amazing how smart kids are, and it makes me tear up to think about how grown up my little man is getting. I just want to snuggle him up and protect him from the world forever.

1 comment:

KK said...

At least there WAS school. Aidan still reminds me about dropping him off at dance class the week there were no classes...sigh.