Friday, March 09, 2012

The Power of Math and Science

It's just a typical Friday night, and I'm sipping a glass of wine, watching movies with my men. D and decided to relax and watch Moneyball. Watching this movie has reinforced how I've been feeling that past week about what I hope for my boys. I hope they decided to go into careers based in math or science. (Y'know, Jonah Hill's character ... taking statistics and realizing dreams.)

I want them to be able to innovate and use creativity, but within the guardrails and realms of a world where there are definitive results. Working in a profession that relies heavily on art and persuasion, I don't know if it's worth it. Only occasionally is it gratifying. I want my boys to love their jobs more days than not. I want them to get a sense of achievement when they create something that has greater meaner.

Sure, I can create things that make people feel informed, well-educated and engaged ... but I really wish I had gone into a field where I would have had a direct impact on making peoples lives richer, better, healthier. Maybe one day.

No comments: