Monday, March 26, 2012

The Spring Clean Purge

This weekend D and I did a major overhaul of spring cleaning and purging (of course, after today's cool temps, it now feels like it's the edges of winter again ... yes, I am a cold-weather wuss ... and will retire in a warmer climate.)

After acquiring some new shelving from IKEA, we took our office/library and purged four shopping bags worth of books from our collection (I think a bag and a half were old pregnancy/baby books) and then sorted our books into fiction and non-fiction. We then moved our old shelf into the family room and it now houses are sadly abundant DVD collection (of 95% children's movies, classics of course, but wow, I think we own every children's movie created since 1992.)

The amazing sense of accomplishment this organization created is undeniable, it's almost better than finishing a grueling run in the wind that turns your hands purple it's so damn cold (yeah, I did that today, lucky me). And we did it as a team, from assembling the furniture to organizing, to reflecting on our work. Go team!

There was just one last piece of the purging puzzle ... the dreaded little file cabinet. We've had this cabinet since 2001. It houses all our old paperwork that is not tax-related. I probably haven't touched it in at least two years ... thanks to the fact that everything is now electronic. The information has important information, like our SSNs, addresses, account numbers. This means, prior to everything being recycled, I must shred. And so, now over the next couple weekends, that is what I'll do ... shred, shred, shred. Yes, of course this is where you'll tell me there are companies that I could just tote the whole cabinet to and they'll shred it for me ... but alas, my punishment and satisfaction will come from looking at the old papers (my salary in 2002 was what?) and shredding the crap out of it. It's the ultimate purge.

No comments: