Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Passion for a Cause

I love it when people have passion for something they really believe in. When it just oozes out of their face they are so excited. Their voice laced with exuberance. It's what I look to find whenever I dabble in a new hobby or something. And when I think someone has a worthy cause that they are so enthusiastic about, I want to help them out as much as I can, too. (Be it time or money, which is why I have been a volunteer for Meals on Wheels for more than eight years now.)

Breast cancer is a very prevalent disease. In fact, it takes more than one hand for me to count everyone near and dear to me that has been afflicted. I am lucky, because I know more survivors than people who've died with it. I've participated in Race for the Cure since my senior year of college. (And I actually raced that year in downtown Indianapolis -- I was ambitious!) So, when I co-worker was beaming from ear-to-ear about how proud she was of her daughters raising funds to participate in the 3-Day, I of course wanted to learn more. Her daughters came up with the idea to create a calendar celebrating the fight for a cure.

Her daughters' passion for battling the cancer that their mom faced is clearly strong and never ending. So, I wanted to pass on their efforts to you. You can learn more about their calendar at http://www.posingforpink.com/. The calendar itself might not be your cup of tea, and they did get some interesting backlash from a local metro paper around Mother's Day from some feminist groups saying this was not the way to raise funds for a charitable organization. However, I think it's their ambition to go out and find a way to champion their cause and have their voices heard. I hope that we all can find something that can drive us like they did.

No comments: