Sunday, January 20, 2013

Reflection on Sundays

Last night was the memorial service for my dear sparkly friend who's life was 32 years short. It was an amazing tribute. Those who spoke told stories that made us laugh and cry. Embraces were provided to help build the strength of the community left behind. It was an emotional Saturday evening. One of the reverends who spoke during the service helped us try to answer the painful questions. His big message was that God helps cause all things to happen to come together for good. He was clear that this didn't mean good comes from everything, but that at some point the actions of this tragic event will come together for good with other things.

It was a very thought-provoking statement. There were lots of old friends gathered together, brought together by this one great person ... and why did we wait for a tragedy to bring us together, to reconnect? We should live more in the present and be grateful for the gifts we get every day from this great people. We should be more forgiving, put things in perspective, and cherish the good that there is in everyone.

Which brings me to Sundays. I love Sundays. There typically low-key. Granted, right now the boys do have swimming lessons in the morning, so it disrupts the sleep-in on Sundays, but that's okay. I enjoy watching my boys work on their skills, perfecting their techniques. We then make a quick trip to Target, because inevitably we just need something. And then we go home. Depending on the mood, we sit and read, watch a movie, play video games, or just enjoy each other's company. (Full disclosure, Sunday is always my laundry day and so it helps make needing to stay at home an easy decision.)

It's the perfect day to just sit back and enjoy all that I've been blessed with. I've tried really hard this year to not work on Sundays. Sure, I'm allowed to look at my calendar for the week ahead, but really focused on not working has made the day that much more precious. I encourage everyone to take that approach if you can.

Here's to more lovely Sundays.

No comments: