Friday, January 11, 2013

Ups and Downs

This has been one trying week.

Monday was a typical day, nothing too exciting. Cleanse was in full swing, and I was feeling good this go round. D even admitted he was feeling good. I had to attend a school district meeting for a committee I'm on and didn't prepare myself with snacks (they serve dinner) so I frantically hunted down a vending machine for a small bag of almonds to satiate my hunger until I returned home.

I knew Tuesday that I was going to be spending my whole day at work at a very intense and involved all-day meeting. On the way to the meeting, my team and I ran into one of our partners who was also supposed to attend the meeting with us. She was walking the wrong way. That's when the horror began. She informed us that a colleague had been found dead. A colleague I've known for almost ten years. A bright, shiny, happy, sparkly, smart and wonderful person. I was in shock. In fact, it rocked everyone's world. Throughout the day my mind would wonder. I had just seen this person the Friday before ... I couldn't believe it. That evening I had another meeting at school to learn about a coaching opportunity for an enrichment program for K. It was exciting and exhilarating, and I wanted to make sure I could help lead my son's team. But it would require some flexibility once a week from work.

Wednesday the gruesome details of my colleague's murder was released. And they were brutal. Sorrow, anger, frustration. So many questions. I couldn't believe the inherent evil of her husband. I wanted to understand why should would have married a man like him. I wept for the little boy who will never know his mommy and who has a monster for a father. I wanted answers that I'll never get and I reflected on how life is short, we don't have all the answers and we must make sure we appreciate the good things in our life.

Thursday I got the news that my flexible schedule was approved so that I could coach my son's team. I was elated (and now nervous because I need to prepare for the team's first meeting!) Food-wise, I was feeling good, D and I were eating lots of great vegetables, enjoying nuts and I was feeling revived and delightful. I love the cleanse - and it's probably why I incorporate many of the meals throughout the year.

Friday the emotional exhaustion of the week just hit me. I got through work, smiled appropriately, worked hard, but I couldn't stop watching the clock for it to be time to return home and snuggle with my guys. Now, we're snuggling watching Frankenweenie (because D really does have to buy every single children's movie that comes out, I swear.) And I'm so happy and content. The only thing that would make this better would be if I could enjoy a nice class of red wine ... but I'll have to wait to do that for another three weeks!

2 comments:

Mrs. Soriano said...

So sad. I saw her name, but I convinced myself it had to be someone else with the same name. A shiny, sparkly person indeed. What a loss.

stepmommyjenn said...

I love catching up on your blog but for the first time I'm stunned, cold, in utter disbelief, sitting here with goosebumps bigger than quarters. How.....wow, she is one of the good ones...Godspeed MJ and bless that baby.