Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Starting the Year off with a Little Crazy

I always look at New Year's Day as being a tone-setter for the year. Spend it with a headache ... it might be a rough year. Spend it surrounded by loved ones ... you're going to have lots of love throughout the year. So, how did I decided to spend my first day of 2013?

With a little crazy. Yes, I convinced D that we should run the Life Time Commitment Day 5K. I run on a regular basis, with the ultimate goal of being able to run a 5K with great ease. (Unfortunately with the short days and winter ... my "regular" run means Saturdays only right now.) My sis also works at Life Time, and bless her, but she'd been on me to run this since I think October. I told D I was going to do it ... and he said he'd love to do it with me. I looked at him like he might already be crazy (while I run at least once a week ... he hasn't run since we've been together which is 12 years.)

Which brings me to this morning ... with sub-zero temps, lots of layers and thousands of other crazy people ... we started off together on a very brisk run. 

(P.S. note to self: go get your own puffer vest, D's does nothing for your shape!)

In full disclosure, I fully expected I'd have to walk some ... because currently in my training plan I am still doing intervals. I was proud of what I did though ... I think if there hadn't been the handful of inclines that kicked my arse, I may have been able to run the whole thing. (positive thinking, people, positive thinking) I also expected that D (his non-running-training-self) to totally beat me. He did run cross-country when he was younger, and frankly he doesn't have the extra layer of padding that my body seems to want to hold on to. He was only ten minutes ahead of me at the finish line, so that made me feel somewhat better. 

I'm glad I did it, and plan to have it lead to many more over the course of the year. It felt good to push myself. It felt great to do it with a wonderful partner. I loved that we set a good example for our boys. Now, I'm warming up by the fireplace, finishing up updating my goodreads list and then I plan to just sit and read and relax with my boys. 

I couldn't have asked to start out the year any better: pushing myself to prove I can do what I set out to do, surrounded by those I love, enjoying life. If 2013 can deliver that throughout the year ... than it's going to be a good year!

No comments: