Friday, September 20, 2013

A Day in Door County

Today was our first full day in Door County. The world was our oyster, time was our friend and adventure we were to take in. Thanks to my internal clock I woke up at 7 (I guess that would technically be really sleeping in on a Friday for me.) So, I caught up on the news, ordered another set of Warby Parker home try-on frames (I am hoping this time is the charm ... they have some cool new fall frames, that I am thinking may be the ones.) And just enjoyed a quiet morning.

First up was to pay our rental bill and head to the grocery story. Oh, and to find a towel. Because, yes, after I reminded everyone to bring towels ... I ended up leaving mine on my bed at home because I had a last minute, oh I should pack this ... nice. We settled our bill, super easy and lovely was Mr. Hasenjager chatted me up just a little with recommendations and wanted to make sure all was good. One thing I've learned from this trip ... renting is the way to go. It's super relaxing, convenient and much more affordable.

Then we were off to the grocery store. Half of us went off to the grocery store, with a list from the other half of what we should get. It was a quaint little a grocery store (that was like half a wine shop, there was so much wine everywhere.) We got some fruit, and breakfast items and stuff to make salads. Oh, and of course some wine. Then we went off to find a towel. This had us on a bit of an adventure ... seriously. Who knew that it would be hard to find a towel? So, about ninety minutes later we returned to the house. We made a lovely little breakfast:
 

After breakfast, G and I decided to go for a quick run. I now know why I run on an empty stomach. It was not good people. Stomach ache central. I could only do about a mile and quarter before having to go to a walk. blech.

After we all got ready, we began our venture. First stop: Stone Throw's Winery.






You got to try five wines for $5 and keep the souvenir glass. I was sort of amazed that they gave you a glass. Of the five wines, I decided to get two. A Pinot Verdot and one called Bucatini. Both yummy reds. I went crazy and for my last wine, I tried a sparkling almond wine. It was way too sweet. But it smelled like marzipan. If it has tasted like it smelled I would have been in heaven.

Then we were off to Bailey's Harbor to see Lake Michigan.



 Next stop was to check out a lighthouse.


The lighthouse:

 Then we made it up to the northern most point where you'd take the ferry to Washington Island:

Some bees getting busy:

Then we made our way down and stopped to take a few other pics. Here are some of my favorite of the American we found:




For dinner, we decided to have the quintessential Door County fish boil. So we went to Victory Grill, the home of the fish boil.
The restaurant was definitely a local hang out. Lot's of local color. The fish boil wasn't bad ... it just wasn't exactly culinary breakthrough.

We finished up the evening at a cute little wine bar. All-in-all, a good day.


No comments: