Friday, September 20, 2013

Onward Wisconsin!

Yesterday around noonish, I embarked on a small girls' trip to Door County with my Wine Club chicas. We got slightly delayed in our departure due to a massive storm that decided to sweep through both Minne and Sconny. The storm started while I was half-way through my Heat Yoga class, and the fact that I could hear it and see the world darkening while I was in the yoga studio was a bit scary.

So about an hour later than we had originally planned we were off. We made it to the Wisconsin border and then decided we needed lunch. We didn't opt for fancy, we opted for Wendy's, as it was quick and would get us back on the road. Well, let me tell you, the Wendy's in Hudson had the most polite staff. They greeted us, treated us very well and even thanked us for coming. Halfway through the meal, they even checked up on us to make sure everything was good. It was more service than you sometimes receive at a fine dining restaurant.

We then continued on the road ... and finally made it to Green Bay ... in what felt like hours later. (okay, it was hours later, but it felt significantly longer than it should have.) We had to stop at Lambeau field, it was on one of the ladies' bucket lists, and the rest of us wanted to check it out, too. She brought a vikings hat, and we took some funny pics and posted them on Facebook. D told me when he say that I was at Lambeau he was slightly jealous. Everyone was courteous (though we got a fear stares for the vikings hat).

We then found a Mexican restaurant and had a little supper. Okay, the plates were huge ... I opted for tamales ensuring they were gluten-free, but could hardly touch the sides. The food was good. the place had $3 margaritas, but I have a hard time with Tequila, so I opted for a sangria. D totally called me on the sangria when I told him we had Mexican for dinner. (I guess after almost 10 years, I shouldn't surprised that he knows me as well as he does.)

And then an hour later, we were finally at our destination. We rented out a house for the long weekend. It's quaint and perfect for this kind of trip. It's an old house that they renovated and updated. It's decorated so festively that you can tell the owners take a lot of pride in what they do.

I'm excited to see what the rest of Door County has to offer us this weekend.

No comments: