Tuesday, September 03, 2013

First Day of School

Today was K's first day of second grade. Last night he was so excited he had a hard time falling asleep. But this morning, he work up ready to go.

I have the flexibility of being able to work from home when needed, and so today I took up that option so I could send my boy off in a grand affair. His favorite breakfast is buckwheat pancakes. I love this, because buckwheat pancakes were my favorite as a kid. I have a very simple GF recipe for buckwheat pancakes (because surprisingly, buckwheat is not actually what). So I whipped up a batch of special pancakes to start his day off right.

Then it was time to drop him off. We live less than a mile away from the school and have opted to drive K to and from school. If he rode the bus, his commute would be like mine: unnecessarily long. So, we braced ourselves for what we knew would be a busy parking lot and dropped our little man off. I actually had nerves in my stomach as I watched him walk off.

We returned home, and I worked through emails and got sporadic interruptions from O and D and then it was time to pick him up.The only mix-up of the day, the school system had him noted as a bus rider. Which I find odd since he's never ridden on the bus. However, since he's a big second grader, I guess they trusted that he would know how he was supposed to get home and they let him going during parent pick up.

He shared how his day went, that it was really great day and he liked his teacher. He even shared that there was a new kid in his class an he helped show him around (totally proud parent moment and we let him know how wonderful it was that he did that.)

While he's sad that his two best buds aren't in his class, he still gets to play with them at recess and see one of them at soccer ... and I think he realizes he will be able to widen his friend network, too.

Having kids in school makes time fly by so much faster ... it's a good reminder to cherish every moment you can with your babies!

No comments: